I apologise for not having posted for a while, but as you can see, I have been a bit busy of late! It’s not that I have nothing to share with you, I have a great new recipe that I will get up as soon as I find the time. For now, you’ll have to make do with another jam recipe, as that’s my current ‘thing’.
My mum gave me half a bucket of blackcurrants at the weekend, it turned out to be 7.5lbs. It took me two days to get them cleaned, de-stalked and turned into jam. I did a 2lb batch on Monday and did all the rest in one go yesterday. I had a huge pan bubbling away on the hob, and I started getting my jars out of the cupboard. I estimated how many I’d need, and I was 1 or 2 short! Panic!! I looked all round the kitchen, emptied a jar of pasta sauce from the fridge into a plastic tub, and contemplated rummaging through the recycling box to see if I had any in there! It turned out I was safe, I think I actually had 2 jars spare. Anyway, here’s the recipe I used. For jam-making tips and techniques, check out my previous post – Rhubarb & Strawberry Jam.
4 lb blackcurrants
6 lb sugar
3 pts water
Remember, the quantities can be altered, as long as you keep the ratios the same. Remove the stems and leaves and wash the fruit. Put the blackcurrants in a pan with the water and simmer until they are tender. Stir in the sugar until it is dissolved and then boil hard to setting point.
I’m not sure of the exact yield, but I ended up with 14 fairly big jars of jam. Now I have to find homes for a few!!